Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Help! I need somebody. Help! Not just anybody. Help! You know I need someone. Heeelp!

I really really wanted to do something that was cartoon poppy with hand helpers. So, for this end product I jump on the chance to play with PowToons. It is fun, but not perfect. Apparently I need to voice over the whole thing on one reel. I am using audacity, but I want to know exactly what I am saying in order before I polish up my voice over. At the same time, I want to have the pictures match the words. I have a solid start, but it isn't done.

I am looking at textbooks in this modern age.

Update: I took out the videos, I didn't approve of the way the video stopped.-----I found 2 videos to start that I want to use. unfortunately the auto-play stops after the movies and you have to double click the > in the middle to get it to keep playing. With a play button right next to that and a single click not working, I am not a fan of how that is working, but I really feel that it shows what an interactive textbook can do. So, Question 1. Are the videos as great as I think they are, or not worth the hassle of restarting?

I only have the words done for the first 5 slides. The pictures on these slide are pretty much what I want in the end. I am not thrilled with my voice performance, but I think the words are decent.At this point it is only polished through the 5th slide with the different colleges popping. Question 2, is this a strong enough start?

I am still piecing together the rest of the slides. Overall I am looking at how it benefits teachers to make their own books, what free sourcing brings to the table, who can actually use the technology, and why print book still have some advantages. The voice is done for the rest, the images are still all a work in progress for this. Question 3, is that a sufficient range of topics?

Take 3- I think that I am down to fine tuning at this point. Anything really bothersome at this point?
Now that you have been able to view it, are the cartoons and images working? Is the blend of cartoons with really images visually working for you?

Thanks for taking the time to look at my work in progress.

Here is a link to my newspaper as well. http://www.scoop.it/t/interactive-textbook?justScooped=1

7 comments:

  1. I think it's a great start.

    As far as the use of video, if you had more time, that might work or if you were able to cut them shorter. I think it's too long for the purpose and style of your presentation. Also, if you could talk over them, that might be useful too.

    I don't mind the use of both animated graphics and images but I do see why you might feel they are a bit of a mismatch. I liked how on the one slide you embedded an image inside a screen. Perhaps even framing some of the images with an animated frame might smooth the transition.

    If this is any indication of the entire presentation, I think you're on the right track.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is great and the use of both animated graphics and images will appeal to students. It is annoying that the video stops in the middle because you can't tell when you click to move on if you are missing something or not. I love your Powtoon part but some of your words are covered over by the cartoons and you need to watch out for not complete sentences. And does everything say what you think it says? It is really cute and you can fix what's wrong. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should have explained about the words. I went through and labeled the slides so that I could start working on them, and until I make a voice over for them, I am worried I would forget what I wanted to put there, the the words are more like mental notes to me and I will take them out as I get the voice overs done. I think I need to decide what I want to do about the videos. Thanks for your thoughts.

      Delete
  3. Yes, the images work - your presentation is looking good. Thanks for the preview.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chris,

    The presentation was smooth and I thought your voiceover was excellent. I know your voice sounds recorded and it doesn't bother me. You have good expression. As I am using Powtoon for the first time, I am struggling with not letting the graphics overwhelm the message. I thought your images worked and your writing was clever. I like the tool but what I want is hard with only one tool and lack of expertise. One comment about the topic is I feel as a parent there are really not any good e-books for young kids and the reason is they are not interactive when they should be. There has to be a way of combining sit together time of reading with children and the discovery and interaction of digital to keep their interest. I have never used one textbook for a source or even a main source as an adult student or as a teacher so take my comments for what they are. I have enjoyed working with different tools to record my voice and students' to use with stories as it gives us a little freedom to improv the story with charade like movements. It is much more fun to talk about Washington crossing the Delaware if you are in the boat and not just looking at the picture.

    Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am assuming that it is trickle down economy. To me, there are more educational games for the young, but not as much high quality ebooks. Now, the publisher that we use at school does have an ebook that goes to it and it has limited features. Ie- it can read to you, but it doesn't have interactive videos about the topic that pop up and would be great to have. My hope is that higher quality digital resources are on their way down the line.

      Delete
  5. I really enjoyed your presentation. Your voice is so expressive. I liked your topic and leaned a lot.

    ReplyDelete