Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Flipped Out!

I have thought about flipping. No, I don't mean flipping out on my kids. (Although, is there such a thing as Thanksgiving-itis?) I mean flipping my class. At least a little bit. Maybe just one or two Social Studies things, to get a taste.

What is a Flipped Classroom? It is when students are given expectations and often video lecture at home to prep them for what is going on in the class rather than giving homework and having students do the work part at home. Here are a few more detailed explanations.
Explained in Texas
Very detailed and education oriented vocabulary here.
Multimedia explanation.

I spent an hour following the flip chat #flipclass on Monday. There were a number of different teachers there from different backgrounds talking about what they were doing or have done in their classrooms to put some of the lecture time at home and bring the hands on work into the classroom. I was pleased with the honesty from people who are trying new things and it is messy. Everyone seemed glad that they had flipped and wouldn't want to go back to all traditional teaching. That being said they had some advice and gave some insight into their classrooms. Here are some highlights:

Andrew Thomasson  
"Played 2 versions of "All About That Bass" before doing feminist analysis + argument, speaker, genre study. "

I am really thinking personally about rewriting this song to teach something, but I haven't figured it out yet.

"A6: For my Ss, engagement is anything w/puppets, Minecraft and getting to argue about important things "
"A2: Puppets=engagement. I got to explain "why puppets?" in a bunch of conferences today. The real answer: bc puppets are magic "

So after at least 2 mentions of puppets in the classroom, I have to say that I am interested.

A6: "Hands on activities that allow them to put their knowledge into context "


Yes, this is a reason to do it. More hands on time is what I need.

great way to make videos interactive

This looks exciting. There was a very well produced video with a bunny that had inferencing questions that was funny. I love funny.

"So why the hold up?" you might ask. I can see the positives, but the time. There is so much time to be put into at the beginning. I need to learn how to make videos, videos that I would allow to become part of the internet. I could go in tomorrow and slap a camera up and tape myself, but I would hate what it would look like. I wouldn't be able to tape myself with the students there because of their privacy, and so much of how I teach now is interacting with them. For example, I was teaching about de Soto. Here is our conversation,"De Soto was looking for gold all over what is now the South Eastern US, he didn't find it, but he is a remembered explorer. What did he do? He claimed all of that land for Spain. They wouldn't have written about him in your book if he just looked for gold and never found it. Then he would be like Bob."

"Who is Bob?" a student asks.

"Exactly!" I replied.  They die laughing, but then the next day, they bring Bob and de Soto back up  as the look for the significance in what a different explorer did. It was a small moment, but it made the impact I wanted it to in the split second that I thought of it.

How do I put that on tape? Should I put that on tape? I would have to rethink at least part of my teaching style and delivery for it to work without an audience that responds. The timing would be another issue. I don't get up an lecture non stop almost ever. Generally we are reading together, or working together and then I will stop and mini lecture a point, and then we all get back into it.
I did find suggestions to keep the videos short. 1-1.5 minutes per grade level. So any video for me should be 5-7 minutes and, according to Cheryl Morris, with puppets.  

Josh Corbat stresses that it should be about the content not your editing so a 5 minute video should take you 5 minutes to make. Sorry Josh, if what we put out on the internet lives forever and can be leaked even if we put it on a closed site, I am not tossing any old thing up there.

So this brings me back to wanting to try this on a topic to start. If it even mildly works, I could try more. I like that there are a variety of student accountability forms. That was a question that I had, how do you make sure they did it. I think what I like even better is the idea of In Flipping. In-Flipping is when the video content is shown in class. That would be like doubling me. In Flipping would work even better if we had those Chromebooks I talked about in my last post, but I could make it work with what I have. I am determined if nothing else. Ideally for me I would break the class in to stations and have technology with the video be one of them, while small group with me is another.

Original photo from Flickr by Ekonson, My images and words added. 


#Flipclass is a running stream of new links and idea, and one touched on another topic I worry about. Parents. Just today I found something that I have felt is lacking. Information for the parents. This video is just for them. Parents need to buy into what you are doing when you are sending home technology integration.

Not everyone is in love with flipping the class. This college Freshman seems to think that it is a waste of time and would like her lectures back please. What intrigues me is that the time in class is spend filled with worksheets. We aren't even doing that at the elementary level, even in classes that are not flipped. Why is a college doing it? Actually this raises red flags for me. I am teaching my students to think deeper and approach things from more than one angle, are they really in for the remainder of their education to be filling in worksheets. I truly hope not. Don't get me wrong, some skills need a worksheets to practice on, but after the practice should come some other kind of more engaging deeper application of understanding.


References:

#flipchat. (n.d.). Retrieved November 19, 2014, from https://twitter.com/search?q=#flipclass&src=typd

Brame, C. (n.d.). Center for Teaching. Retrieved November 20, 2014, from http://cft.vanderbilt.edu/guides-sub-pages/flipping-the-classroom/

Enokson. (2013, March 5). Teaching in the Library. Retrieved November 20, 2014, from https://www.flickr.com/photos/vblibrary/8465390209/in/photolist-dU4kzB-6D47K-CvR7-Ey3qG-Ey3rm-Ey3qm-Ey3cZ-5Urxsu-v7bdm-5hb9BD-Bjhid-4nWCrn-rKn1F-dU4kB4-6i7qAL-zPxog-wxJnx-7yJ3Rh-7akeTm-8U2Bki-cCJFgS-92Jgs8-dYAWU-4s2FrG-dA3x33-8U2B2v-8yksB8-8yktgg-Ey3mA-Ey3mN-Ey3pW-Ey3ai-Ey39g-Ey3aZ-Ey3pd-Ey3o1-Ey37g-Ey3bz-eRnBGy-71yi4Z-ai1ExK-5ubgh4-8PCwt2-dn7w9M-8ZGsMn-fryyBY-7C4cEZ-8ZKwVh-bzDKz9-3MnCYD

Raths, D. (2013, December 4). 9 Video Tips for a Better Flipped Classroom -- THE Journal. Retrieved November 20, 2014, from http://thejournal.com/Articles/2013/11/18/9-Video-Tips-for-a-Better-Flipped-Classroom.aspx?Page=2

SPECIALSiQ: Smartparent: Flipped Learning. (2014, November 13). Retrieved November 20, 2014, from http://www.wqed.org/tv/watch/?id=1106&page=0

What is the Flipped Classroom? (n.d.). Retrieved November 20, 2014, from http://ctl.utexas.edu/teaching/flipping-a-class/what





6 comments:

  1. The interactive way in which you "lecture" doesn't sound like it needs flipping. I wonder if there is additional material already out there which would be helpful for your students, perhaps on a subject you don't already do, or a subject you don't feel as strong in which you could integrate into the curriculum as a flip. Then, you're not taking away from the work you're already doing.

    Then you don't even have to record yourself. =) By the way, I appreciate the pointing out of privacy concerns. I hadn't actually been thinking of that.

    Doing worksheets in class certainly doesn't sound like a better use of time than flipping! It's great to hear how you are working to engage your students' minds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if math videos aren't the way to go. I teach it in the same way, but the way that students need to interact with it is different. Hearing the same thing a couple of times, or watching the teacher work through an example at home might be better than the Social Studies. I just love history, and I never feel like I have enough time there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Chris,

    I too attended the #FlipClass chat on Monday night. I took away so much information that it made me believe I can tackle the idea of flipping at least one lesson in my classroom. What I liked most about the chat was that everyone was so helpful. If one person had a question someone tweeted an answer with a linked resource. The hour made me think of community as I read how teacher helped teacher overcome obstacles in the classroom. The Edpuzzle.com resource really had me thinking that I could do a video that students will want to watch. I just need the time to work with the resource and that will not happen until summer break.

    I read the “This College Freshman” take on a flipped classroom and I can definitely see her point. If all you do in a classroom is work on worksheets, what is the point? Personally, I don’t think the professor takes the idea of a flipped classroom far enough. I believe more needs to be done with the worksheets than just filling them out in the classroom. What that ” more” is I can’t say. Every thing I read about Flipped Classroom this week leads me to believe that it is supposed to be an engaging classroom. Filling out worksheets does not seem to be very engaging to me. Just my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am interested in the Edpuzzle site and I think I am going to try using that for a math lesson of some sort. We will see how that turns out.

      Delete
  4. Chris,

    I think your picture is wonderful and the in flip is intriguing. I did not know I was dabbling in this but I have been making informational videos on how to use art supplies as prep for the use of materials. I have teachers and students singing about one drop of glue-Who knew this would happen? I did not intend to become a film maker but if it wasn't fun and useful to my kids than I wasn't going to do it. When I started, I had to draft coworkers and students. Now they all want to be a part of it.(I had one kindergartner cry because I didn't include her in my mini movie so I am going to make another one this year.) If I keep it under two minutes I can send it internally if it is 3 min or more I have to send them a link. Three minutes is my limit. It must be entertaining and have the essential information, That's it. My youngest students are 4. They need to be actively working asap. Other teachers in my building have shown my videos to their class.

    I know the county I grew up in is issuing Chromebooks to middle schoolers with required parent and student prep sessions. There are forms as well. The majority of them have Internet access at home, in school libraries and the public libraries. This has the great potential for flipped classrooms and as they have multiple teachers that teach everything, it is a great way to team up.None of this is the case where I live and teach now. Some of my students think iPads are all about playing games and taking selfies.

    I want to integrate flipping into more of what I do but I am on my own in my county so I will have to do it at my own pace and with my own equipment. I was out sick one day this week and they couldn't find anyone. I would love to have this resource available but know that is a dream. They don't train subs on the technology and that is a shame.

    You got more out of the Twitter chat than me. I missed most of it (PTO night.) I see my kids once a week. They are young. We are very hands on. I would have loved a flipped classroom especially in high school. It opens the classroom up to the world doesn't it? I would love to be in on your class too. Maybe when you post your you tube videos I can take your class.

    Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You bring up a very good thought on substitutes. There would be a break in the rhythm when a teacher is out. Our subs only sometimes have a laptop, I guess it depends on how many there are in a building. If there are too many then they don't have enough devices, but we are not to leave out laptops out for them to use.

      I wonder how many other teachers in my district would be interested in this idea. When we open up could we share?

      Delete