Wednesday, October 29, 2014

New Toys

Whoa, this is a lot of new toys. I am working through a number of thoughts as I try to narrow down a topic and a tool. I am not there yet on either front.

I started out with the links that were provided in the opening of this class. I followed to Scoop It and got to work. I was working under the theory that if I do not try it I have no idea how it will work. There were parts of Scoop It that were nice. It was automatically polished, where Diigo that I have used previously is just nuts and bolts to look at.

I do not think Scoop It is what I will use in the end because I can not figure out how to get it to run blogs and tweets. This is quite possibly a user failure.Scoop It also seems more restrictive in what you can do on the free version. Here is what I ended up at: http://www.scoop.it/t/interactive-textbook
**** Update, I might be having a change of heart. I have figured out how to post tweets for a hashtag. I am still learning everything that I can do!*****

Paper.li is successfully pulling blogs and tweets for me. Since our goal is to have RSS feeds, articles and #tags running on our paper, I think that it makes it the better tool. I only switched over to it last night after I became frustrated with my creation on Scoop It. Paper.li has so many fuctions that I have only scratched the surface with. What I have found is that it was easier to to get to static sites with Scoop It. I wonder if in the end I will or can use a combination of the two with the Paper.li feeding from the Scoop It?



I am looking for sources that have great technical know how. I am still on the search for users. I think that part of my struggle for users is the technical vocabulary. I am finding the words that publishers and technical bloggers use, but not what the teachers are calling it. What do teachers who are using interactive textbook and other participative technologies call it? I love both of those phrases. Interactive Textbooks seems to be too narrow a topic, so I am broadening it to including other interactive teaching methods. I do worry that then I have become to broad. I don't know that I would include educational games. I feel that educational gaming alone would be a topic. I want to look the interactive end that is not clearly a game. This is something I will work on as I continue to define exactly what I know and share. Because I started with interactive textbooks, which started with it being mentioned on the curate mind map which I will have to go back and find again to share with you here, the technical wording led me to experts and publishers. I need to hone in on the vocabulary that teachers are using. Specifically, I would love to find elementary and middle school teachers who are blogging and tweeting about these teaching technologies.

When I am looking at these sources I want to know what they offer. Do they make a technology that I am interest in? Are they using it? If they are using it, at what level. I have found some cool things in my search that I know I can't use in 5th grade. For example, I found http://www.polleverywhere.com/
app being used. This app allows students to text answers that will automatically populate in a Power Point that has been set up for it. In the high school where they would all have their phones, this would be great. I have allowed student to bring in devices, but most of their parents are unsure about it, and the majority are ipod and ipads, not phones. My 11 year old doesn't have a phone either. So, I need to dig deeper to what can be used in elementary school. That is what I want to know.

The technology that I have in my building will be part of what I am looking at in my search. We are a Microsoft based school, it would be silly of me to put too much into Apple sources that I can not use. My students do have those iPods and iPads that we can use on a rarity, but our primary use are the school computers.

I feel challenged by all of this. There is so much to learn and understand. I am interested to see what everyone else is up to.

6 comments:

  1. Chris,

    I love your comment about these being toys, a much more positive view than I had! I think I also got wrapped up in figuring out one tool and then ran out of time. I mainly used storify which I liked the idea of, but I'm not sure if it will work for an updating magazine. I will have to check out paper.li now that my Wed. assignment is out there. I'm also struggling with the tags. Not sure if what I want actually exists, so I'm trying to bring a combination of topics together for what I want. Best of luck on your project! I look forward to watching it develop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the support. The original start to the post was written in the midst of my own frustration. I then thought about all of you who had to read what every I put forth and went for a more upbeat mood.

      Delete
  2. Hi Chris!

    I can relate to your thoughts about weeding through all the different types of tools available out there. I think it can be really difficult to find an exact tool that matches what you want out of it. I completely agree about ‘polleverywhere.’ In theory, it’s an awesome idea however, with middle schoolers, you can’t ever guarantee everyone is going to be able to participate with phones or devices. I have asked my sixth grade classes about who owns a personal device and a little less than three quarters of the class does. I would hate to spend time trying to implement a new tool when not everyone would benefit from it.

    I would recommend Paper.li! I saw your example that you posted and thought it was great. So far, I am loving Paper.li and have no complaints… Yet! I’m sure as I continue to use it, I will find things I don’t like but that is something that happens with every application you encounter.

    I like your idea of focusing on interactive textbooks. I agree with you that there is a difference between that and games and with online games, and the sheer magnitude of their availability on the Internet is overwhelming! I can’t think of any specific example or place to direct your efforts but I know you will be able to find what you’re looking for. The Internet and its resources are endless; it’s out there somewhere!

    Thanks for sharing! ☺

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Chris,
    I think we have similar interests with using technology. I use electronic response systems (apps) in my class as well. Two response systems that work via the web are Socrative and Kahoot! I liked them more than PollEverywhere because no phones were needed and they provided formative feedback for students and teachers regarding academic progress. Check them out if you have not seen them http://www.socrative.com/ https://getkahoot.com/

    Regarding curation, I went back and forth between scoop.it and paper.li as well. For what its worth I like your ScoopIt page "Participative Technology". The focus of my work for this class it BYOD and formative assessment, so I am going to keep an eye on your newspaper for inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chris,

    I can not give you better advice than what you have gotten or what you have figured out on your own. I have more troubles than I knew. Thanks.

    What I can add is in general the Paper.li paper is too busy for me no matter whose paper it is. The more focused your interests are online the more focused your paper looks on Paper.li.

    I am worried mine would look like a gossip rag with art pictures, Downton Abbey, Ken Robinson, Charlie Rose, and Gerard Butler. I know you are thinking- Wow! I need to see that but not too ed and tech enlightening. I need focus on a chosen topic and Paper.li did not look like I would control it well.

    That being said you, Kevin and Alyssa can be each others' resource. I am learning so much about Paper.li and what is going on in your classrooms and the technologies you use. I will also admit freely when I saw Alyssa's Paper.li for the first time-oh my goodness, What a visually impact it has. (I saw hers first.) I have already followed some of Kevin's leads and give me time I will steal yours too.

    Your Scoop.it was awesome. The broccoli with chocolate may have helped me immediately. I like how you focused your topic but with the title it is not too narrow and sounds like collaborative fun.I chose Scoop.it so I am biased. I believe I have offered you no help what so ever and good luck. Did I mention your topic was fabulous?

    Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great thoughts here around both the challenge of finding the right tool I love that you worked through your issues with Scoop. it

    I think another great issue explored is semantics and terminology. With the idea of interactive textbooks, you might want to explore and include a variety of terms. I think you can feel comfortable knowing that certain terms will cull irrelevant sources but also a variety that may be useful to some readers.

    ReplyDelete